Tuesday, June 30, 2015

The Dog Days of July and August

I think the heat and humidity is getting to me. I see lots of gray, hazy casts and some vile weeds taking over. I have to wear special armor to get rid of those awful prickly one (what are they anyway??), agressive ones that challenge the most patient gardener. Hey, I usually like to weed. But now, so many things are finishing their bloom time and the fall bloomers are awaiting some cooler temps and shorter nights. I looked around and decided to do a good check of what IS doing well and made a list to remind me to plant more next year:

First Prize: Zinnias

Second: Crape Myrtle

Third: Roses: Duan Juan and Veteran's Honor

Fourth (Tie): Phlox and Verbena

I have to admit, now that I've thought about it, that things aren't as bad as I thought, especially early evening and morning (oops, I forgot those Morning Glories). That midday sun really washes everything out. Somedays I think I am just too greedy and fail to take in what is, rather than what isn't.

Now, let me hope I will remember next year to plant those zinnias with their many shapes and colors.

No comments: