Monday, July 5, 2010

Hydrangeas at last!

After moving to our home three years ago, I discovered two hydrangeas planted by the previous owners.  For the next two years they didn't bloom. I don't even remember doing anything to them the fist year.  The second year, after the leaves had fallen, I thought the stems were dead so I cut them to the ground.  Wrong!  I realized  that those dead sticks would come alive if I let them and in fact, those stems harbored the buds for the next year's flowers. I had an oakleaf hydrangea in my Brooklyn back yard and I knew not to prune it except to control the size.  I this Niko blue macrophylla was totally different.  Live and learn.  A good source on all things hydrangea is hydrangeashydrangeas.com

1 comment:

Jane Smart said...

Hi!
These pics are absolutely magnificent with such cool colors of nature.
I came across your blog on internet and wondered why I haven't visited it before. I am a hobby gardener myself and love to see my plants grow and produce nice flowers.

I am an instant follower and bookmarked the blog instantly.
On my first visit to the blog I would like to share something too. I recently came across a magnificent resource which gives us a wonderful opportunity to Organize Seeds easily and conveniently. And the best thing is that its still FREE to join.
I am sure that you and other blog followers will love it too!
I hope to learn more about gardening from you and other fellows here.
Happy Gardening