Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Winter Beauty Camellias











I'm introducing this series of posts on winter gardening with this most beautiful Camellia that was planted in my yard near the front door by the previous occupants. It blooms every winter.  These flowers often seem "out of sync" with the rest of the landscape at this time of year but I love it. According to the NC State Extension another good choices for winter color is Camellia x 'Crimson Candles'. The new foliage is bronze- red, and the flowers bloom in Feb and March. Both these plants can withstand night temperatures in the 20s and is hardy in USDA zones 7 through 9.

2 comments:

sf_daily_photo said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. I cannot believe that something so beautiful could appear in the dead of winter!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Just planted a C. sasanqua 'Crimson Candles' in my shady yard in Atlanta. Looking forward to flowers next winter!